Tuesday 26 March 2013

Acts of Cultural Vandalism #4 - Advertising the Digital Switchover

This edition is an unusual one. Instead of paragraphs of dribble, I'm going to create a sequential story told with words then picture then words then picture and so on. It's like a comic strip.

The subject for this sequential story is my version of a TV ad advertising the Digital Switch-over. I know the last analogue transmitter in Britain was switched off in October, but I only got this idea just a few days ago. Inspired by an early digital TV ad in the late-1990s, here's my take on advertising the digital switch-over.

DIGITAL SWITCH-OVER AD

One of the best things about digital TV (apart from picture quality and an increasing choice of channels) 
is that any television can be converted to receive digital TV.


Yes.


Yes.


I think so.


Crikey, that's old. But yes, any TV, no matter how old, can be converted to digital.


No. That's a radio.


That's a microwave.


That's a washing machine.


That's an aquarium. Nice fish though.


No. That's a mirror.


No. That's a picture frame.


For god sake, what's this guy on!


NO! ITS NOT A.....


OK. Yes it can. Sorry.


Yes. Any computer or internet-enabled device with a screen can become a digital TV.


Err! I'm not sure.


I already covered mirrors, and the answer is still....


Oh, you got one of those mirrors. I think it falls into the same category as crystal balls.


Are you taking the Micky, Doctor? I think you already know the answer.

Anyways, the point is that any TV, computer or internet-enabled device with a screen 
can be made to receive digital TV.



Yes. Any television, no matter how old, can be converted to digital.


I think so, with some tinkerin....


I did. Any TV can...


What.... Is that a Sinclair ZX Spectrum? You must be joke....

I have to stop you there voice-over guy, because I found out you can make a Sinclair ZX Spectrum receive digital TV through the internet. And here's the proof....



So there you have it. My folly into advertising the Digital Switch-over. I wanted this page to go out before March ended because of another event in the world of television. The iconic BBC Television Centre in London is going to shut down by the end of this month (their moving to a new building in Manchester, by the way), so as a tribute the final sketch I usually place at the end of my posts is this....


Note - Photoshop and illustrator CS4 didn't have Gill Sans (the font the BBC currently uses
 in its corporate ID) so I had to use a similar-looking font.

No comments:

Post a Comment