Sunday 14 April 2013

Acts of Cultural Vandalism #5 - Margret Thatcher 1925-2013

Former British prime minister Margret Thatcher has died. This is going to be tough to write and easy to write at the same time. This is because one - I'm Scottish (a group of people who were extremely affected by her economic policies) and two - I was born within the final years of her reign of terr...ific management so I didn't know much about her until well after it ended. But its generally going to be hard, because of her legacy and the fact her death just happened.
I am well aware that she's a person who really divides people in Britain and possibly outside Britain too (especially in the EU). She's a marmite figure, you either like her and her policies or hate her. But her significance means that even opinions of her are in the extremes.
Here's how extreme. Current prime minister David Cameron has called her a "Great Briton" which clearly shows that some see her as an equal to the other great leaders Britain has had, such as Elizabeth I and Winston Churchill. On the other extreme, the most vividly horrible thing I have ever heard anyone say about her was when the controversial Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle (surprise, surprise) said during an episode of Mock the Week concerning the the topic of whether Thatcher should have a state funeral.

From an episode of Mock the Week in 2008. 
A few people have uploaded copies of this clip within a day of the news of her death.

He suggested (in his usual sarcastically-toned politically-incorrect way) that instead of a state funeral, the money should be spent on giving every person in Scotland a shovel for them to dig a tunnel deep into the Earth for them to deliver her personally to satan (his words, not mine). Now, for a comedian to say such a joke (and for many people to find it funny), you have to really piss off a lot of people. I mean, entire communities. Entries towns, cities, counties or even countries for someone to say that. Its a good indicator on how influential Thatcher has been to Britain.
Another one will be the UK download chart success of the movie song "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" from The Wizard of Oz, which I just heard may be in the top 10. The BBC is wondering wherever to play it on the Sunday chart show on Radio 1 if it does (its the Sex Pistols "God Save the Queen" controversy all over again).

Now, I like to point out (after stating the quotes of other people) that I am not one of those people who likes to call an individual "a great ______" (unless their is no opposition to the idea) or deserving to have their corpse sent to hell personally. I don't see famous people and people of high rank as "figureheads" or "celebrities." That applies that they are objects, like shiny sculptures or chess pieces that could be toppled in a game. I see them as human beings. Human beings that have got into a series of circumstances that led to where they are in society, the culture and history. And those human beings are animals that are driven by programmed behavior and instincts as well as genetics and upbringing in a chaotic universe. Its a more artistic and scientific way in analyzing people I kind of personally developed.

So, back to Margret Thatcher. I could just tell you my interpretation of her life story and actions, but someone has already beat me to it. Below is a recently shown Channel 4 documentary about her, which mostly explores her role in shattering the classic class barriers in Britain with liberal capitalism and why the upper classes (as well as the far-right) hate her because of it. If I was doing a documentary on Margret Thatcher  this is the angle I'll go for and how I would have done it (I'm not bias like most Scots. I look at both sides of the argument.).

Martin Durkin's controversial thesis is that Margaret Thatcher was a working class revolutionary.

If you are a person who is unsure about her legacy (or isn't sure which side of the love her/hate her debate) I recommend you'll see this doc (among the others you have been found about her (and that slightly inaccurate 2011 Meryl Streep movie The Iron Lady), because you don't have time to read books (admit it!). It's an angle that's rarely portrayed or explored in the culture. Its been mostly the savior of Britain (and its bankbooks) or the demon who was set to destroy all that was good about Post-World War II Britain. She was the caring housewife who also run the place with an iron fist (she was called "the Iron Lady" for a reason). She destroyed working class communities by shutting down loss-making heavy industries while financially-liberating them by granting them rights to buy their council houses and buy shares in former nationalized enterprises. Can the culture make up its mind? I think it's too soon. It takes more than 20-odd years to see the true merits (or mistakes) in a way that everyone (left or right, rich or poor) can agree on.

So, what is my opinion on her and her actions? What do I think about Margret Thatcher, personally? To be honest... don't want to say. I don't really have an one-sided opinion on the ex-lady prime minister. I find how the cultures view and value her a more interesting subject to talk about than her actual actions and opinions during her life, like I have done just now. This is "Acts of Cultural Vandalism" not "Acts of Political Vandalism." You won't find any comments on individual politicians here. If you wanted that sort of thing, they are many other blogs online for you anyway (even ones that push the opinions to the extreme, if you could find them (which I won't, because I'm not interested)).

But, I'll say this. In 300 years time, I'll not be surprised that her face will appear on the money.

Now to the real reason why I'm writing this. For a few years, I had this idea in my head for an memorial for her. Its an idea that the Thatherites will like and will give her critics some satisfaction at the same time. Its simply, a statue of her made of iron (she was called "the Iron Lady" after all). But, the iron isn't treated for rust, so it'll rust overtime. The rust is open to interpretation to whoever looks at it. But that isn't the only clever bit. With the possibility of someone stealing it for its scrap value, it's theft will say something about her legacy of free market economics. And I know the perfect location for it - Ravenscraig, the former site of the largest steelworks in Western Europe (until economic reforms closed it down in 1992). Its the perfect location. It once dealt with iron, its closure was was an indirect result of her actions (some of Britain's steel industry is still going strong today) and its going to be in a town that's full of people who would happy to see it rust, defaced or stolen. Is it a good idea? Is there a better place for such an memorial? What do you think?