Saturday 16 May 2015

A PowerPoint for school: Pokémon by Joshua Wallace (With some assistance from Uncle Gordon) (May 2015)

Recently my nephew was given the task to do a 3-minute talk on any subject he liked for school. 

The topic he chose to do was Pokémon

Yes, everyone over-20, Pokémon is still alive and kicking.

A week before the day of the talk, I was approached by my mother and him to help with his research and make a presentation for him. I made a list of facts he could talk about, had it proof-read and edited to make it easier for him to read and say and made the following PowerPoint presentation...

A simple title card to start off with.

One fact we thought the kids should know is that Pokémon has a creator and 
his childhood hobby was his inspiration for the franchise.
The choice to use bug-types for decoration is obvious.
That console is a NES on purpose. 
Porygon is just there to fill in some space.
My nephew really liked my idea of the drawing on this slide.
This is where most of my background knowledge on Pokémon's history was put in.

I chose to use an image from the first series on purpose.
(explanation below next slide)
I'm most proud of this slide. 
Most kids in his class would only know of Pokémon from Black & White onwards. 
But my nephew has been exposed to some of the earlier stuff,
so he knows a few things about Ash's Kanto adventures
My nephew insisted in including the mega-evolved forms of Charizard on this slide,
plus the mega stones. And yes (everyone over-20) they are now 720 of them.
I originally intended to have an explanation of what Pokémon is at the start of the presentation.
But I was overruled on the ground that everyone in his class already knew that.
I was thinking about the teachers when I thought of it, not the kids.

A final statement to end on.

Along with this presentation he bought with him to show to the class a number of relics, including...
My original copy of The Official Pokémon Handbook (1999)

That is my original copy, and here's proof (and proof of transfer of ownership in 2011)


And here's further proof of ownership.

(brightness/contrast altered for easier legibility)

I have since bought a more mint-condition copy for my archive.

My "mint" copy of The Official Pokémon Handbook (1999)

Sorry I've gone off topic there. It's a habit.

So, how did it go for him? 

He said he got "Top Marks". 10 out of 10!
They loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment