Friday 26 February 2016

Pokémon 20th anniversary special comedy sketch


BIRCH He arrived late to his initiation?

OAK Why did you think he ended up with Pikachu?

ELM You didnt know? The Pikachu he gave to Ash was a wild rouge he found chewing the power cables one night.

BIRCH A rogue, uh. Its been a while since I encountered one. Back when I was a trainer, to be precise.

ROWAN Now that brings me back. Back when I was a young trainer.

OAK We all remember when we were trainers. Its what made us who we are now.

ALL THREE True, true.

ROWAN But still, who of all of our young selves would have thought that decades later  well be here in a state-of-the-art lab in unspoiled country drinking the finest wine from Kalos.

ALL THREE Yeah.

BIRCH My younger self would have been amazed by that. Back then the best drink I could have wished for was a cold cup a tea.

ELM Yeah. Without sugar.

OAK Or milk.

ROWAN Or tea. The best I could hope for was a cupful of clean water. I didnt even care if that cup was cracked and leaking.

OAK A cup? I was lucky to have a rolled-up newspaper.

BIRTH  Newspaper? I was lucky to have a damp cloth to suck.

ELM I was too clumsy to handle a damp cloth, let alone a cup. I had to use my hands to scoop up water from a puddle.

ROWAN A puddle? I would dream to scoop water from a puddle. I had to rely on the rain.

BIRCH You were lucky to have rain. For one time I spent six months in the desert of route 111.

OAK I remember Ash been there years ago. He encountered a battle-obsessed family living there. It was after Misty had to give up Togepi to that Mirage Kingdom.

ELM I remember that little guy. So cute.

ROWAN (sigh) Trainers today.

OAK and ELM Excuse me?

ROWAN I think trainers today have got it easy, - compared to us.

(All in deep thought)

OAK You may be right, Rowan. Back then we didnt have Pokenavs to help us find our way. I remember my trusted pocket map book, which I still have.

ELM Was it up to date? My map book was a hand-me-down from my uncle. I nearly got killed by a train on a non-existent rail line.

ROWAN Maps? Rubbish. I had to rely on the stars to find my way. I only had a sextant to guide me.

BIRCH A sextant? I had to rely on my field skills ALONE. I never needed a map or the stars to find my way around.

OAK But, of course, we could have used out Pokémon to help us. Speaking of which, remember how primitive poke balls were, when they were manually-operated? I still have them after I transferred to the modern solid-state models.

ELM I was still using those until I was 35. They were hand-me-downs too. And one of them contained a dead Magikarp that stank like a Skuntank.

ROWAN Luxury. I would dream to have second-hand poke balls. I had poke collars and leashes. One time I tried to catch a Luxio. That electric feline lashed me within an inch of my life. It nearly sliced my head clean off.

BIRCH Luxury. I had nothing, but my bare hands and patience. I had to once wrestle a Mightyena to teach him obedience. And I still got the scars.

OAK You win this round, Birch.

ELM - But still, even after dealing with so many wild Pokémon nothing beats, after a long day, a nice kip in a tent.

OAK Tent?

ELM Well when I say tent, I mean a sheet a tarpaulin strung over two branches.

OAK (pause) You were lucky to have two trees. I had to make do with a Gitafarif.

ROWAN Tarpaulin, as well?

OAK Of course.

ROWAN Luxury. I had to make do with newspaper.

BIRCH I would dream to have newspaper. I had to sleep in cave.

ROWAN Cave? I once had to share a nest with a Staraptor. And a very reluctant one of that.

ELM I once slept with a bunch of wild Ursaring. During mating season. I learnt a lot that night.

OAK You were lucky. I was once sent 40 years into the future by a Celebi.

ROWAN Now that is too Farfetchd.

OAK (sigh) Yeah it is. Sorry everyone. But it was a great story that entertained a number in the Poke centre I stayed in while in Johto.

ELM Remember back when we had to do jobs on sight to earn food and a bed in those places. I was thrown out of one for my bad housekeeping due to how cold it was.

BIRCH Cold? I was once made to stay up all night collecting fire wood in the middle of winter, all for a bowl of watered down lukewarm tomato soup and a small piece of stale bread.

OAK I use to dream for a bowl of watered down lukewarm soup. I once had to spend a whole month, 18 hours a day, draining a swamp. All for half a cold tin of baked beans.

ELM - You were lucky to have more than one bean. I remember only getting just one little bean for rewiring the whole centres electrics.

ROWAN (pause) Right! One time I had to wake up every night at half past ten, half an hour before we all went to bed, to single-handedly build an extension in the Baroque style. I didnt even know what Baroque meant? I had to wing it for two years, until I was able to save the two cents a day I was been paid to do it (with one been paid back every day for the privilege of working on site) to be able to afford to get a library card. And even when I got the card I had to beat a Mismagius to gain entrance to library for a fee of course. And my reward for finishing that extension? A mug of cold tea with no milk or sugar. Or tea.

OAK Try telling that to the young folk today. Would they believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment